Information on the UWC
BRIEF SUMMARY ABOUT THE UKRAINIAN WORLD CONGRESS
The Ukrainian World Congress (UWC) is the international coordinating body for Ukrainian communities in the diaspora representing the interests of over 20 million Ukrainians. The UWC is recognized by the United Nations Economic and Social Council as a non-governmental organization with special consultative status.
The UWC has a network of member organizations and ties with Ukrainians in 53 countries.
In 2017, the UWC is commemorating its 50th anniversary.
Purposes and objects of the UWC
The purposes and objects of the UWC are to:
- promote the solidarity and represent the interests of the Ukrainian people throughout the world;
- foster and coordinate an international network of member organizations that support and promote the development of Ukrainian religious, linguistic, spiritual, historical, cultural, and social heritage;
- support the independence, territorial integrity, national identity and economic prosperity of Ukraine;
- strengthen the bonds of Ukrainian communities and Ukrainians in the diaspora with Ukraine, including government and civil society;
- secure the rights, status and interests of Ukrainians and Ukrainian communities, and to defend them wherever they are denied, violated or threatened;
- promote democracy and human rights around the world, including monitoring democratic processes such as elections and referendums; and
- cooperate with governments, nations, organizations, and individuals, to accomplish the above goals in the spirit of peace, freedom, equality and justice.
UWC Councils and Committees
Twelve UWC standing councils and committees work actively to address questions that define Ukrainian community life. These include human and civil rights, UN matters, awareness of the Holodomor in the international community, education, social services, assistance to Ukrainian citizens living abroad, scholarly matters, culture, the fight against human trafficking, media, sport and the cooperative movement.
The UWC also has a Coordinating Committee in Support of Ukraine, a Committee in Support of the Economic Development of Ukraine, and an International UWC 50th Anniversary Committee.
UWC Head Office
145 Evans Ave., Suite 207
Toronto, ON M8Z 5X8 Canada
Tel.: (416) 323-3020
Fax: (416) 323-3250
UWC Mission to Ukraine
01023, Kyiv, Lypskyi provulok 3, Suite 6
Tel.: +380 44 253 33 47 and +380 44 253 42 28
UWC Mission to International Organizations in Brussels
72 Boulevard Charlemagne
1040 Brussels, Belgium
Tel.: +32 489 629 049 (M. Iaroshevych) and +32472 602 487 (D. Panchuk)
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
UWC Network: 53 countries
The UWC has a network of Ukrainian member organizations in the following 35 countries: Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Georgia, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Norway, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Federation, Serbia, Slovak Republic, Spain, Switzerland, United States of America and Uzbekistan.
The UWC also has associate member organizations in the following 5 countries: Netherlands, Singapore, Slovenia, Sweden and Turkey.
The UWC also maintains ties with Ukrainians in the following 13 countries: Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Chile, Finland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Mozambique, New Zealand, Republic of South Africa, Thailand, and United Arab Emirates.
Additional information about the UWC is available in the English and Ukrainian languages on its website: www.ukrainianworld